A confluence of mystic poetry, films, stories and music
The Kabir Festival Mumbai turns 10 this year! This one of a kind community funded, volunteer run festival celebrates the all-embracing message of universal love and harmony through the music and poetry of mystics and visionaries of India.
To mark the decade long run, the Festival brings 23 diverse events over a period of 10 days. The events include, music, films, musical dastans and workshops, spread over numerous venues across Mumbai.
As always, all the events of Kabir Festival Mumbai are free and open to all.
This exciting edition of the Festival brings:
● “A Cawing Clamour Fills the World – The Sufi vision of Shah Latif” –
Waais of Shah Latif sung by Sumar Jat, Bhachaya Jat, Sharief Jat and Jiyand
as well as Kaafis of Shah Latif sung by Mooralala Marwada and troupe,
woven with a narrative by Shabnam Virmani.
● “Dastan Gandhi Abhay Ki” – a Musical Dastan on Gandhi and fearlessness,
written by Himanshu Bajpai with songs composed by Vedanth Bharadwaj.
● “Fanaa – Voices of the Feminine”, Mira, Lal Ded and Female poets from the
Vachana Movement by Rutuja Lad, Radhika Sood Nayak and
● “Rang Abhang” – by Shruthi Vishwanath celebrating the syncretic nature of
abhangs in collaboration with pakhavaj player Anuja Borude and
● “Gurbani” – by Ragini Rainu, accompanied by Ajay Pal Singh Sandhu and
● “Kahat Kabira” – by Padmashri Prahlad Singh Tipaniya, who brings to us
the most vibrant and living voice of Kabir today. He is known for being able
to contextualise Kabir in everyday life.
● “Malang Faqueer Shah Hussain” a musical narrative presented by
Hindustani classical vocalist, Radhika Sood Nayak.
● “Call of the Bauls” – taking us on a journey through the world of the Mystics
of the East, the Bauls – by Parvathy Baul and Lakshman Das Baul.
● “Gatha Tulsidas” – a Musical Dastan on Tulsidas, written by Himanshu
Bajpai with songs composed by Vedanth Bharadwaj.
● “Mystic Music from Kutch” – by Mooralala Marwada and his troupe with
● “Qawwali” explored by artists Dev Narayan Saroliya, Bindhumalini
Narayanaswamy, Shruthi Vishwanath, Vedanth Bharadwaj, Vijay
Tipaniya, Ajay Tipaniya and Dharmendra Tipaniya, who are from different
classical and folk music traditions.
● “Avadhoota – Nirgun Gaan” by Shruthi Vishwanath accompanied by
Shruteendra Katagade and Yuji Nakagawa.
● “Workshop with Padmashri Prahlad Singh Tipaniya” to sing and
● “Music Workshop for Children” – with members of the Delhi based Band
“Manzil Mystics”, which rights its own poetry, inspired by the mystics.
● Film Screenings – “Koi Sunta Hai” by Shabnam Virmani, “So Heddan So
Hoddan” by Anjali Monteiro and K P Jayshankar, “Achin Pakhi” by
…and much more.
The Kabir Festival Mumbai 2020 – presented by Sahej Foundation, a registered charity, will continue to spread the words of mystics and visionaries to communities, public spaces, mohallas and book shops. By creating awareness and celebrating our country’s syncretic history and culture throughout the city of Mumbai, the Festival hopes to encourage a community spirit and harmony and also inspire serious self examination. The Festival is entirely volunteer-run. The Festival comes about through endless generosity of the Mumbai community, through volunteering their time and expertise, their facilities and spaces. The miniscule budget of the Festival is funded by the largesse of the Kabir Community of Mumbai consisting of ordinary Mumbaikars and rasikas from across the country who join us during the Festival, as well as some like-minded, community-based associates, including Shabdam, Om Shree International, Kitab Khana, Dr.Bhau Daji Lad Museum, G5A, St. Andrews Centre for Philosophy and Performance, The Great Eastern Home, Celebrate Bandra, The Blue Ribbon Movement, Sangit Mahabharati, Sahyog, Sangharsh, The Village Music Club, MAA Studio, Thotpot, Sophia College, Wilson College, Comet Media Foundation, SAHER (Society for Awareness, Harmony and Equal Rights). To join the community, volunteer or contribute towards the yearly festival and events through the year, email email@example.com.